Thursday, October 9, 2008

Seeing Forms as dynamic objects

I've posted some pictures from "Dynamic Figure Drawing" a book I picked up a while ago. It tries to teach the artist to view forms of the body as shapes which can recede back into space. Starting out, it talks about the barrel form (egg) of the upper torso, and the box of the hips. These are a bit different from the types of observational drawing we've been doing, but I know that since I've been in life drawing, I find it much easier to invent realistic looking body types, though I still have a long way to go. Life drawing is demanding, complicated, and frustrating at times. Determination is the only thing we have to keep expanding our knowledge of human form. I want to illustrate and write a graphic novel (or novels), and I'll study this book more to become able to invent the human figure. If you've taken pres tech too, you'll see some similarities between some of these drawings and the utilization of 3-dimensionality drawn all the way through the form.



Graphic Novel Top 10
1.The Watchmen, by Alan Moore (if you don't like graphic novels, read this- you will change your mind, it's the only Graphic Novel on the Time's 100 best novels of all time, and undisputedly a masterpiece of literary complexity and stunning visual magnificence.)
2. Akira Series (1-6) by Katsuhiro Otomo (Ridiculously detailed pen-work, and amazing drawings of the figure in space and motion)
3. Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
4. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
5. V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
6.Maus I & II by Art Speigleman
7.League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (I and II)
8.Sin City Series by Frank Miller
9.Ronin by Frank Miller
10.300 by Frank Miller
What I need to Read Eventually
Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman
Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
From Hell by Alan Moore

0 Comments: