Saturday, October 4, 2008

10 Minute and 50 minute drawings.

Three Things Different Between Amy's and My Drawing.
1. Amy has a delicate control of line weight in the frawing, I feel mine is a bit heavy handed at times, I could use more control of that thin charcoal.
2.I'm trying not to fill in, and absorb as much information as I can about the structure in the 10 minutes, but I always seem to draw the ribs as a oval, I'm not getting as much of it's structure as in Amy's drawing.
3.
I couldn't seem to find the drawing of the same pose as is in Amy's, but I chose another  10 minute piece from the same day. I don't seem to get as carried away in some of the 10 minute and 15 minute drawings, so I focused more on the axis lines and structure.  The thorasic curve is undulating up the form, but I think I placed it a little far left relative to the hips. The proportions look correct to me, but the egg shouldn't be shown from more of a 3/4 than a straight on back perspective. Line weight is important to show emphasis and give a sense of depth, and I should have been more sparse with my application of dark marks, and utilized atmospheric perspective with more contrast. The most important anatomical  landmarks were the anterior superior iliac spine and the egg. The relation of these two is what I am having problems with in most of my drawings; when the gap of the waste is too large, I begin to stretch every limb and the figure is lengthened. This drawing takes better advantage of the space of the page than my 50 minute did. It is on a full 18x24, and placed in the center of the picture plane. I really enjoy these studies most of the time, I anticipate actually composing drawings that don't sit centered in a frame, but I know now it is essential.

I wasn't feeling too inspired in class today, and it shows in these drawings. I kept on fidgeting with the form (which I should be doing) but I was having a tough time paying attention and connecting my lines with the structure of the body. One thing I need to get away from is the idea of the ribcage as an egg form. I always seem to stop there, and forget about the actual shape of it, other than just an egg, I seem to be perceiving it as a full oval throughout the torso. My line weight was in attempts at becoming varied, but I spent a good chunk of my time during the hour reworking and talking with Amy about some different choices, and landmarks I could be utilizing. Like I said, I need to study the form and structure of the hips and ribcage, because I am building most everything off of these points. The second drawing is more clear, I think, and these landmarks are more evident. The drawing sits in the picture plane, but I left out most everything but the torso. The pose of the model was strange from my view, I could hardly see the legs tucked under, and I knew they weren't really too important so I left most of that out. 

0 Comments: