Monday, November 10, 2008

Methods of the red man




In this posterior view of the lower limbs and hips. I'm starting to notice somethings that look a bit off. First of all there is some huge gap in the right side of the thigh where the gluteus maximus meets the biceps femoris. I'm not sure where that comes from, but this was another set that was extremely difficult to imagine the relationships. I think the clay is crafted well, but some form is off. I was really confused about the soleus; I wasn;t sure how thick it should be because of the othe muscles on top. I don't think these atlases honestly do a job of illustrating any type of relationship in size or even location. This is extremely important, and you are supposed to use other sources, but why not just have it in the book? At least some kind of diagram? I enjoyed building the gastrocnemius, because it really made the shape of the leg recognizable to me.





The strongest aspect from this anterior view of the torso is my clay craft. Some edges could be trimmed, but the overall smoothness of the clay makes it easy to define the form of the obliques. I think adding in the ligaments of the abs was also a good choice for details. I had fun building these muscles and shaping them around the torso. As I stated before there is something about the curve between the ribcage and the hips that I find quite beautiful.












I think craft is lacking a bit in the anterior thigh muscles, but only in the definition of the bulk of the muscles. Otherwise I think this area looks pretty accurate, comparing it to others and also some anatomy books I was looking at. The tibialis anterior was a difficult set of muscles to build. I couldn't understand the thickness of them, it seemed like there wsa too much there for so little muscle, and I was having trouble trying to fix some of these problems. The craft could be better in the lower leg as well. I should probably try to add more of a rounded form than a lumpy mass to this section.








Another shot of the posterior muscles of the upper torso, the longisimus and thoracis, and spinal erectors. I think I did a fairly good job on this section. This is the section I worked and reworked the most when I was working on my model. I really enjoy the smooth liquid feeling of these muscles slithering up one another, the way they interact, twisting the spine and neck. I think this is a gorgeous mass of muscle, and looking at these photos, I think I could go in and round some of the clumped forms out.








These muscles are kind of fun to build, but I don't feel like I'm getting enough use out of the model. Considering they will be destroyed and rebuilt next semester, I would like to use them more in class so that these muscles are implanted into my memory. Building them doesn't seem like enough. I almost wish I could keep it for reference, but these pictures will be really helpful to stir up my memory about building them, but still, I would really like to draw more muscles and draw from the clay models while we draw from the live models, maybe I will have to do some of this during the open drawing sessions. I am enjoying this part of class I think it adds a touch of variety.

1 Comment:

Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

jake,
it's difficult to tell from the photo, but I think the clay that is coming vertically down the lateral thigh is the short head of the biceps femoris, which would go under the long head (which in the photo is just medial to the gluteus maximus).

the semimembranosus and semitendinosus should both travel toward the medial knee and attach at the tibial tuberosity.

i think you are also missing the sartorius.

beef up the gastrocnemius so we can see it from the anterior view.